Thursday, December 08, 2011

Overheard in my Grade Two Classroom, Post 2

Find previous snippets here: Overheard in the Grade 2, Post 1.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Zachary: "Ms. Key, if I ask you something will you just tell me the truth?  Just the real truth?"

Me: "I'll do my best, what's the question?"

Zachary: "Are you MARRIED?"

Me: "... Nope. Not yet."

Zachary: "Well, do you have ANY KIDS?"

Me: ".... Nope. Not yet!"

Meanwhile, they've all heard the answers to that question about a zillion times, they are fixated on it, I am asked about marriage and children almost every day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jason: "Ms. Key, I'm a little worried, my dad is having a surgery today."

Me: "Oh dear, I'm sure he'll be okay.  Let's just think happy thoughts and send them his way."

Jason: "Yeah, he needs to have surgery on his nose.  He ate too many black beans when he was a child."

Me: ... thinking: Did I pass out for a minute there?  I don't see the connection between nose surgery and black beans.   "Oh, well, we'll just think some happy thoughts..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jason:  "Ms. Key, guess what I had for breakfast this morning?  It was a real classic."

Me:  "Oh!  What was it?"

Jason: "It was French Toast!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Joseph, new to Canada last year, choreographed an entire "fan dance" for our Chinese New Year dance in our multicultural holiday show.  He taught it to six of the girls in the class, it was impressive.  We sat at the carpet one day after practicing our dance.  In his stilted English he says:

"Ms. Key, the fan dance is the best part of the show, I think.  I think it is the best part!"

He isn't even in that part himself, but he was so proud of himself for choreographing it, and he was sharing his kind thoughts with the girls who are doing the dance.  All six girls sat a little taller and felt a little prouder after he said that.  Amazing moment.

2 comments:

  1. I love "Did I pass out for a minute there?" That so perfectly captures the way it can feel to talk to children!

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.