Saturday, November 19, 2011

Overheard in my Grade Two Classroom

FYI - names are all changed to protect the innocent, everything else is 100% exactly as overheard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SCENE: It's the start of the school day, and students are filtering into the classroom, unstacking chairs and copying today's homework message into their agendas.  The teacher (ahem, me) is off to the side of the class, organizing Scholastic order booklets.

Robbie enters the classroom, loudly: "YOU GUYS.  Justin Bieber got ARRESTED."
Multiple Students: "What?!  HOW?!  What did he DO?!"
Robbie: "FOR DRUGS."
a noticeable pause...
Kyle: "... what are drugs?"
Zachary: "It's like medicines and stuff!"

Note: To protect the innocence of The Biebs, I will say that Googling on my part did not discover any news of this being factual.  I'm not trying to slander The Biebs, ya'll, though apparently my six-year-old student was. ;-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SCENE:  Zachary and Cam sit across from each other, and Zachary, who is an intelligent child, way beyond that of his peers maturity-wise, is becoming noticebly frustrated with Cam.  Zachary storms over to my desk.

Zachary: "MS. KEY!  Tell Cam the truth!  People don't just have babies when they get married and KISS!  RIGHT?!  Tell him!!!!"

I just told Zachary that he was right, there's more to it than that, but that it's a conversation for home and not for school.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SCENE: I got my hair cut on a Friday, so I knew the Monday morning would be interesting with my students.  I cut off quite a lot of hair, so it was a big difference.  Monday morning, I met the students in the hall after the morning entry bell rang.


A few grade twos stop and stare at me.  There's stunned silence, followed by...

Braydon: "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!  YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR MOM!"

Note: My mom comes once a week to hear the kids read out loud, and for the record... Braydon did make an astute comparison... turns out I did cut my hair quite similarly to my moms.  Um. Oops?

1 comment:

  1. bahhahahah I totally did not notice that your hair cut is like your mom's but now that i think about it, it kind of is hahaha
    that's cute

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.