Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I'm reminded with each special event at school just how much more exciting these events are in the eyes of children.  When I taught grade three and four last year, Halloween was very fun, but it was different and the kids weren't as "off the wall" or exhausting as teachers may expect.  Today, with senior kindergarten and grade one kids -- whoa!  They came to school wired!  SO excited about Halloween, and their costumes, and the day ahead of them.  It was hectic and crazy!

It was also THE BEST.  There is just something so special about spending these days with five- and six-year-old children.  They can express their joy so well, and they just see the FUN in things!  I even tackled carving a pumpkin with my students today, and even just the excitement they felt for getting to reach inside and pull out "pumpkin guts" was awesome to witness.   I am absolutely exhausted after this school day, but I loved it.   My students had a great day too, and are so excited for trick-or-treating tonight!

I'm looking forward to moving into our new home in February even more because I'm reminded that next year we actually have a HOUSE on Halloween.  I cannot wait to decorate it, carve our own pumpkins, and shell out to the trick-or-treaters in our new neighbourhood.  Then, a few years down the line, hopefully it will be our turn to enjoy Halloween from a parents' perspective - hectic, crazy, and so full of joy for the kids.  Reminds me so much of how fun Halloween was for us when we were growing up -- it was always one of my favourite nights of the year!

If you are a parent or caregiver tonight, enjoy it.  In our area it is wet and rainy and I know that can be miserable, but remember how fun Halloween is in the eyes of the kids - regardless of the weather.  Remember to be a big kid yourself sometimes!  It really is fun!

Happy Halloween!




1 comment:

  1. It was wet and rainy, but the kids still had a BLAST!

    I remember how excited I was for Halloween in our first house :) I can't wait for you!!!!!!

    And yes, the engery - oh, the energy! That and Valentine's Day are INSANE in a Kindergarten classroom - good insane!

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.