Sunday, June 19, 2011

Coming Out of the Report Card Fog

For the past few weeks I have been in a daze.  I had to write 21 report cards, practically from scratch since that's the new system, for students that I had taught for less than a month and a half.  I was planning as many final assessment activities as I could do, so I could have the kids showcase their abilities to me as much as possible, for a wide variety of subjects in a quick time span.  I had a few marks from their previous teacher, but hardly any anecdotal notes about their strengths and areas for improvement.  It was, at times, very frustrating.  However, it was also very rewarding when I finally saw the report cards as being close to completion and I realized how much I am capable of in this career -- and how much I truly love it, even at its most frustrating times!

For the past two weeks, I felt like I had report cards hanging over me at every moment.  To top it off, I was also working on assignments for the course I'm taking on Autism Spectrum Disorder.  I'd be at school all day cramming in work every moment I wasn't with students too (so, through recesses and lunch), and then I'd head home and have a quick dinner and continue working until 10 pm or so, when I was so tired out and stressed that I'd just have to go to bed.

Finally, Friday came and I printed off my completed report cards and handed them in to my Vice-Principal for editing.  I'm sure she'll find the odd mistake here and there, they always do find something, but at least I was able to go hom Friday and enjoy this whole weekend stress-free.  It took a little bit of time to get out of the haze I was living in for the past two weeks, but yesterday I finally felt the fog lifting and began to enjoy myself again.

Mr. Lock and I had a fantastic weekend together, and I'm now so looking forward to this upcoming summer.  School only goes for a week and a half more, and then freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.