Monday, May 02, 2011

Canada Votes, eh?

I am AWFUL about knowing about government and politics.  Terrible!  It's like I have a mental block about it all.  I even tried to be PROACTIVE in university and take a political science course to try to wrap my head around some of it. All that happened was a really awful grade on my transcript.  I try to do a bit of research, I try to be a bit informed (because I'm a fairly intelligent person!), but I just NEVER feel comfortable discussing politics with anyone.  I have no schema for it, no background knowledge that could possibly make me sound anything but D'OY STOOPID if I tried to join into a single, political conversation.

No idea why I'm like this, but I am who I am.

That being said, I've never missed a vote since turning 18.  Every time there's an election I say I'm not going to vote (because I feel SO DISCONNECTED and DUMB about it all), and yet every year I feel intense guilt on voting day, so I just go do it.

I tend to vote for the same political party that my mom votes for, but I also DO try to read some stuff about the election before I vote, to TRY to be informed.  However, I always just feel like I'm reading a bunch of nonsense that I can't understand anyway, or can't even trust because who even knows what will really happen once the election is all said and done.

I just vote anyway, though.  I vote because it's my right, and I don't want to give that up.  I vote because I recognize that there are people who cannot.  I vote, because I feel guilty if I don't.  But whatevs, at least I do it.

At least if someone says, "So, did ya vote yesterday?" I can say, honestly, "Yes."

Even if I have some sort of political dyslexia that causes me to never understand or feel confident about anything to do with government or politics, no matter how hard I try!  Ah well.  If I ever DO figure out anything about it, at least I have the right to complain.  Or so my Facebook friends have told me. 

I voted, so I get to complain, right?  RIGHT, FACEBOOK?

I even voted in a new place with no voter's card, despite feeling really anxious over figuring that all out.  So, I'm feeling mighty proud of myself for being a risk-taker tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, I'm so happy to hear that you voted! BTW, are you sure I didn't write this guest post on your blog? Are you absolutely sure?!? We are 2 peas in a pod. I'm not kidding you!!!

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.