Friday, January 11, 2013

Academy Award Nominations are in!

On to what I'd prefer to be blogging about.. Academy Awards nominees!  I love this time of year.  The Golden Globes air this Sunday, and I look forward to seeing which movies take home a Globe -- since it's usually an indication for good Oscar picks for my family competition!  Last year I won, and I beat Mr. Lock by a mile, so this year I feel intense pressure to prepare myself for another successful bet!

I have to admit, I'm not *in love* with the Best Picture choices this year, only because many of them are not movies of a genre I enjoy.  Not that I don't agree that these deserve to be nominated, but they do make it a little more of a challenge to try to see every nominated film, because I'd be forcing myself to make it through movies I just don't personally care about.  However, as is tradition, I'll try to see whatever I can.  The nominated films for Best Picture for the Academy Awards this year are (with IMDB.com links):

Les Miserables
Lincoln
Argo
Life of Pi
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Amour

I have never heard of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" or "Amour", so I need to look them up.  I've only seen "Les Miserables" and "Lincoln" so far off this nominated list (darn!).  This weekend Mr. Lock and I are going to go to "Silver Linings Playbook".  I wasn't interested in "Django Unchained" because I typically find Quentin Tarantino to be too dark for me, too gruesome in some scenes... but I will look more into the film, read some synopsis online, to try to make a decision about seeing it in theatres.

I now wish I had seen "Argo" before, but I didn't... I will have to track it down, a few select theatres may still be playing it I think, or it may be back in theatres for a bit as a Best Picture Nominee.  I am wavering on "Life of Pi", because I had no interest in it and have never read the book either... I didn't realize it would be so nominated (also has a Golden Globe nomination).  I'll probably try to see it before the awards.

"Zero Dark Thirty" didn't interest me, because a lot of military films make me feel very anxious, I've never really been a fan of films with guns.  I will, again, have to research it online to see what I think about the potential plot to see if I can handle it in theatres.

So, all in all, I think the theme this year of these picks is "depressing"... most of these films have quite intense, sad, dark, storylines if I remember correctly what I know about them.  Some may have great endings, but I find it hard to watch too many intensely depressing scenes -- I need to mix in some comedy and light-heartedness to keep my personal anxieties at bay.  I will try to see what I can though!  As usual, I'll share my thoughts here.  More for myself than anyone else (because everyone's thoughts and opinions about movies can be so personal, it's all a matter of personal taste), but that's why I blog... I love journaling and this is one more journal outlet for myself.

The Academy Awards air on Sunday, February 24th!  I'm excited!  Love this time of year!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched any of these movies on the list except for Django Unchained and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.