Monday, October 01, 2012

Farm Fresh Veggies

Last week, I did in fact prepare a dish for my students using the veggies they harvested on our field trip.  Seriously, who says teachers don't go the extra mile for their kids?!?





The selection was only so much of each vegetable, so Mr. Lock and I chose to cube the turnip, squash, and potatoes, and then add some cut carrot and some onions.  We then prepared the swiss chard to add to the dish at the last minute.




We added a bit of seasoning, and a touch of brown sugar, and then baked it all for 40 minutes or so.  I took it to school the next day, re-heated it on my prep, and the kids were SO EXCITED to try it!  Seriously!  VEGETABLES!  They said, "It smells like Thanksgiving!"

There were, of course, a few kids who didn't enjoy it... but only two boys didn't try any, everyone else at least gave it a try.  Some kids returned for seconds, and others for THIRDS!  The entire casserole dish was empty, with very little wasted.

I was shocked, but it made it worth the added effort and time outside of the school day.  I am so glad I gave this opportunity to my students!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed! It is so hard for me to get my children to eat their veggies. This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great teacher! Kids so much need exposure to gardening, harvesting, and where are foods come from...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is amazing, your students will remember that.. Such a nice gesture
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!!
    I will have to try doing something like you to get my kids to eat veggies!! (Well, my sons anyways, my daughter is like a vegetarian)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW THAT COOK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could get my kids to eat veggies that easily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for your students! Those veggies looked very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear most kids ate it. Nice way to get kids involved knowing where their food comes from!

    ReplyDelete

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.