Friday, December 30, 2011

2011: Year in Review

I wanted 2011 to be "The Year of Ms. Key".  I had a harsh end of 2010, but I was ready for renewal by New Years Eve 2011.  Well, I certainly got that.  For the first time ever, I'm going to fill in this "Year in Review Meme".  I don't think my answers are partcularly exciting, but I'll enjoy having this documented each year I'm sure.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I moved out of my parents house, into my first place that I live in All By Myself.  I pay rent and bills and buy groceries and I’m all Grown Up And Stuff.  I never before thought I’d be the type to live alone, ever, and yet I do it! 
Okay, sure, Mr. Lock is here MOST NIGHTS… but, if he isn’t here I totally handle living on my own with ease.  I just eat less interesting meals. ;-) 
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I suck at resolutions, I never remember making any even though I guess I usually do.  Last year I was still single at New Years Eve… and then, at the very beginning of January, my friendship with Mr. Lock became something more.  So, I suppose my hope for not being single and lonely for too long was taken care of this year.  I don’t know if I have any resolutions to make for next year.  I do have some hopes, especially that by September 2012 I’ll finally have a permanent teaching position… but that’s all I’ll say for now.  I’m happy, healthy, living debt-free… no need to resolve for anything too major for 2012 right now.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my co-workers did, twins – a boy, a girl.  No new babies in my family, and none of my very close friends have had children yet, though some people I went to school with had their first babies in 2011.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Actually… not anyone I can think of.  Phew, that’s nice to say.  No funerals in 2011 for me.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the US of A!  Finally went to New York City for the first time ever.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A permanent teaching position!  I think this is finally going to be my year, we’ll see in June or September!!!
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 3rd, when Mr. Lock and I came to terms with the fact that we were hanging out a lot just the two of us, and maybe we could give a romantic relationship a try.   Turns out that was a very good idea!
September 17th, when my BFF got married and I was a bridesmaid for the first time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I’ve been very involved with things at school this year, my transition from teaching grade one to teaching grade two has been a very good one.  I feel like I’m making huge strides in the social-emotional wellness of one of my students, as well.  So, my biggest achievements are all to do with my progress at school as a teacher.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Honestly, I can’t think of anything.  I feel so good about 2011 when I think back over it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
In February I had laryngitis, and I had a pretty bad throat infection in early August just after my trip to NYC.  Otherwise, little colds here and there but mostly a healthy year!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
So many pieces of furniture for my condo!  I am so pleased with how my little place looks.  I also love the Christmas tree I bought for this place.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Furnishing my condo at the start of the year, and paying for a bunch of things for my car when we had to change ownership from my grandmother to myself… condo rent and bills and groceries eat up most of my money.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Dating Mr. Lock, going to New York City, getting hired for another LTO at my same school (and most likely a full-year job).  Oh, and moving up to A4 pay status by completing a couple more courses.  That was a nice pay raise.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Adele “Someone like You”, that “Moooooves like Jagger” song, and “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO – all very overplayed in 2011.  I still love Party Rock though, very much.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Much happier!– thinner or fatter? Pretty much the same.– richer or poorer? My bank account looks to be about the same as last year, but I feel rich in all that I have and in my day-to-day life.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I suppose exercise, I’m sporadic at best when it comes to that.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I don’t know, actually!  No regrets.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas eve morning was spent with Mr. Lock in my condo, opening gifts around my Christmas tree.  Then, we visited his family and then went for dinner with mine.  Then, Christmas morning was like every other year, opening gifts at my parents house with my uncle and grandmother too followed by a big turkey dinner that night.  Boxing Day, we drove to my paternal grandparents house for our Christmas celebration with my dad’s side and our annual game of Canasta.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
My new favourite is Community, that was discovered this year for Mr. Lock and myself.  I also enjoy Pan Am, as far as brand new shows go.  I’m also still loving Modern Family, Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, Saturday Night Live, The Office, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.  Oh, and Dexter was a great season this year too.  I love that sitcoms feature huge in my weekly TV viewing again. 
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Hmmm.  The Help, Water for Elephants, and Alice I Have Been.  Not written or released in 2011, ncecessarily, but books I enjoyed in 2011.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I don’t know, Glee music?  I like a lot of their versions of popular songs, haha.  I don’t know.  I listen to whatever.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Again, might be hard to say.  I see a lot of movies throughout the year… there were some hilarious comedies, Bridesmaids and Horrible Bosses were both hilarious (were they 2011?).  I really enjoyed the film version of The Help.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 this year.  I was baby-sitting that day, but the family I baby-sit for and a great mutual friend planned a surprise birthday lunch party for me with the kids.  It was really cute and fun!  I had no idea they were planning that.  That weekend I had a birthday dinner with Mr. Lock and my friends, and we went out to do karaoke.  Mr. Lock got me a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for my birthday – best gift ever!
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I have no idea… it was a really great year!
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Ummm… I began wearing leggings a bit more… I’m not overly fashionable, though.  I got really into scarves this fall… I wear jeans and sweaters a lot.  I guess it’s just “comfortable, normal person clothes”… that’s my fashion concept, LOL.
26. What kept you sane?
I didn’t feel insane this year, it was a very good year compared to the end of 2010!  But, I suppose that Mr. Lock, my teaching position, and the excitement over having my first place kept me sane all year.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I learned that the very best of relationships can grow out of friendship.  And that sometimes taking a risk and revealing exactly how you feel, is just what you need to do to take hold of your life and make it great again.
Have a very happy new year, everyone!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do Teachers Care about Social-Emotional Issues?  Check out my post at KahootKids.ca today to read my response!
Do you live in the Toronto area, and would like the chance to see Beauty and the Beast (Disney Digital 3D) on Saturday, January 7th?  Cilck over to this post to enter a contest to win 1 family pass of 4 tickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When asking yourself, "Comment or don't comment?" the answer is ALWAYS COMMENT! C'mon, you know you want to.